Calling My Northern Friends: How Do You Do It?

I really should be walking out the door right now.  Our van needs gas so friends can pick up free bread later today, and we need milk (how did I live in Georgia for 12 years, and get caught without milk on a snow day?) and I need to do that all early because I’ll be hosting said free bread for our neighborhood in the afternoon.  I really should be walking out the door right now.

But it’s eight degrees Fahrenheit out there – zero with the wind chill – (-13/-18 if you need the Celsius) and the thought of poking my toe out into it makes my liver shiver.

I grew up in northern climes and walked to school in temperatures like this on a regular basis.  In fact, at this temperature we even went outside for P.E. and lunch break.  I know that we didn’t just hole up in our houses and pretend the cold didn’t exist, because that’s a sure fire way to insanity when the snow sticks by early November and doesn’t melt again until March.  I know in my head that I have lived like that in winter.  I know that large portions of the world population can function, and even thrive, in temperatures below freezing.

Knowing and doing are two different things.

Granted, getting a toddler and preschooler dressed and ready for the cold is taking the winter living to a new level – one that I’ve never had to do before now.  And wrapping my increasingly growing baby bump up for the cold is becoming a bit more of a challenge – again, not a challenge I had to face (praise the Lord) as a fourteen year old on the playground.  These are not, however, insurmountable odds for my family and friends living in colder climates, so they should not seem as daunting to me as they do.

The forecast is calling for more snow and temperatures below freezing for the next ten days.  There’s no “waiting it out” for a couple of days until temperatures warm up to 50, like I would have in Georgia.  I’ve just got to make the decision to get out and live my life – cold or not.

Okay.

I’m heading out there.

Brrrr.

Advertisements

About Coralie

After 11 years of infertility, I am now a mother to three, a wife of a Presbyterian (ARP) preacher and a struggling homemaker. Welcome to my little corner of the net. Kick off your shoes, put your feet up and join the conversation. View all posts by Coralie

6 responses to “Calling My Northern Friends: How Do You Do It?

  • suzanne

    Well, since you’re going out anyway…..here’s my grocery list! (Just kidding!)

  • Lollie

    We have auto-car start. That helps:) I remember when they were little it was a HUGE thing to get them all dressed and out the door. I only went out when absolutely necessary, like no more milk! 🙂
    I am so thankful they can all do that themselves now. Although I have been frustrated at times when we arrive at a destination and someone has forgotten their socks, or is wearing a tank-top instead of a sweater!

  • andreajennine

    It took me about 10 years to acclimate to Midwestern winters after moving from Texas. Now, it has to be below 20 before I start thinking about “dressing extra warm” with additional layers. It’s funny how our bodies adapt, but it sure it hard when they haven’t yet! The right gear does help…

  • Donna Long

    Oh, Coralie! You have become a Georgian! Come on back anytime. We miss you!

  • Wendy Robinson

    When I was young and firt moved to Upper Fraser I delighted in the beautiful snow and did outdoor activities. After our children arrived and I was working their activities became paramount, and I intensely disliked driving in the snow. I am still like that. However, as I have gotten older I prefer to hibernate. Unfortunately I’m not living off of stored fat but for some reason have become hungrier. I have a wonderful husband who 85% of his time plowing our yard, the neighbours yard and our children’s yard. The other 15% is feeding and water horses and going places – to get milk etc. I want to put a blanket over my head, stay in bed and not venture outside until spring has truly arrived. Oh yes I make forays into the kitchen for food. You will adapt. Love Auntie Wendy

  • Marianne

    I’ll be honest, it’s not easy to get a little kid bundled and out in the winter… especially Nathan’s first winter, when it was record cold. But, I think what’s helped me is a little gratitude (with which I really really struggle). I’m thankful that I”m not that mom of littles who is waiting for the bus or the train, or that mom taking her preschooler to the school blocks away. We just had to make it to my car, which was always parked *somewhere* on the block.

%d bloggers like this: