As this pregnancy draws to an end, and I look at the growing pile of maternity clothing into which I can no longer squeeze my significant body, I am embracing this idea of having completed this season of my life. Don’t get me wrong! I am so abundantly thankful for the three little miracles in my life, and wouldn’t trade any of them for a stretch-mark free body, but the idea of moving beyond this stage is also appealing.
That being said, there are some really neat things about pregnancy that I have enjoyed, and will probably miss. So here is my list of the 5 things I will not miss, and the 5 things I will miss about being pregnant.
I will NOT miss:
- vomit, nausea, food aversions, heartburn and all other digestive related malfunctions
- the inability to bend over while simultaneously breathing.
- maternity clothes. Everything about them.
- contractions, exhaustion and aches
- being unable to play and wrestle and chase my kids
I WILL miss:
- the kicks and rolls and continuous movements
- nursing (I know, not pregnancy, but I’ll miss it when it’s over)
- the anticipation of the unknowns of a new life
- medically advised bed time snacks
- the absence of cycles.
So there you go. My thoughts on passing out of this season of life and into another.
I remember back in the first days of the blog, when we were riding the roller coaster of miscarriage, thinking what a blessing it was to just be able to say that I had been pregnant. That is so much truer now than it was then. In the midst of the discomfort and the inconvenience and the frustration at my own limitations, I am still in awe that the Lord has seen fit to give me these amazing years of back to back pregnancies after so many years of barrenness. I look at my children in complete amazement at the vibrant little beings the Lord knit together for me and I honestly believe that the heartache of waiting, and the heart break of loss and the heartburn of pregnancy is all completely worth it for the treasures I will spend the rest of my living investing in the Kingdom.